Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Operation: Self Induce

Well, I went to an apt. on Friday and there wasn't much progress...bummer!  The Doctor "stripped my membranes", I know, gross, and probably too much information, but it is supposed to help things along.  (for those of you who don't already know, vocab regarding pregnancy is actually really gross, and I find it hard to believe someone couldn't think of any better terminology )  I was really hoping for it to make something happen because he said that he is going to pencil in an induction for this coming sat., sun., or mon., depending on openings at the hospital. I know being induced isn't the end of the world, and I'll just have to get over it if it comes to that, but I figure I should do everything I can to get this to happen on its own.  My reasonings for prefering not to be induced include the fear that it could lead more easily to a c-section,which I absolutely don't want, that it can be more painful because the body doesn't naturally progress on its own, and lastly because I really want to know what it feels like to go into labor on my own.
So, what are the ways to naturally induce yourself?  Well, depends on who you ask.  For instance, many people swear by drinking castor oil, and even if that would do the trick, I have heard it can also be dangerous and actually really discusts me.  Never gonna happen!  We have no problem with the usual sex and walking, but I decided we need to to put a little more effort into this. 
Some of the more unusual things I have tried:
* A friend said that she heard swinging worked.  Well, I love to swing and what could it really hurt??  Sat. Cole and I drove to the park and had a nice time swinging together.
* Cole also took me to Caninos for dinner for their retro night (prices roll back to what they were 30 yrs. ago.  It's amazing!)  While we were there I got talked into eating the spumoni ice cream.  It is supposed to help pregnant women go into labor.  The problem is that it tastes like black licorice, and I HATE black licorice, so I pretty much choked it down.  I plugged my nose and figured it would be worth the try...Cole just laughed!
* Cole's mom has told me again and again that crawling on the floor will help..something about the knees bumping up against the belly.  I held off on this one for awhile because crawling on the floor seems a bit silly, but sure enough, I gave in on Sun. night.  Cole laughed some more!!
* Along those same lines I have heard taking the stairs two by two will help.  As tiring as it is, I do my best to remember each time I go up/down the stairs.
* The other night Cole and I even thought having a dance party might do the trick...maybe I could dance him out of me!!  Nope..no such luck!  We also have been playing Dr. Mario together because I get so competative and riled up that we figured it couldn't hurt!
* My Dr. is pretty funny and he told me he always tells his patients that a chocolate milkshake will work 50% of the time, so I should go get one of those :).  Maybe I'll try that one tomorrow...yum!

Anyway, despite all of my efforts, no baby yet.  I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!!


Headed to Caninos.  Yes, my belly is big!! (and my hubby is handsome!)
p.s. you can't seem them that well, but those are my amazing boots that i got for $16..LOVE them!

5 comments:

  1. Oh poor Caitlin!!! Sounds like you're seriously giving it your all! And for sure don't do the caster oil - I have heard that same thing. That it works, but sometimes at a bad cost. If I hear of anything else at work I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you might have to be induced. I have heard from other ladies that their babies have come before having to be induced so I will pray that happens for you. I have heard that eating pineapple helps or that a special tea works. But who knows they could all be wives tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry little Tavian is being stubborn about coming out. :-( I've heard that spicy foods are supposed to help induce labor...and that sounds far more appetizing than castor oil. Ick! But, on a brighter note, you are probably the cutest pregnant lady I've ever seen! And, the boots are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH that Tea!! It did help too!! I totally used it...what's the name....it was raspberry leaf tea. What I read is it helps to tone your uterus muscles and it is known to reduce the pain associated with childbirth. I had natural childbirth and who knows what helped or not! I am running out of ideas for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you had natural childbirth?? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete